Level designer, Unity3D game dev, writer, and academic.
Available for jobs. (CV by request.)
- Butte, Montana. 1973. (2011), a board game about open-pit mining that uses chemical reactions to pollute itself.
- Feng Shui (2010), a board game about interior decoration, client-designer relationships, and chopsticks.
Level design / mods
- A People's History of the FPS (2012), a 3-part essay on the WAD, the mod, and the postmod, at Rock Paper Shotgun.
- Future of the FPS (2012), a feature on the past, present, and indie future of the FPS genre, in PC Gamer UK #240.
- Level with Me (2011), a 7-part series of level design interviews at Rock Paper Shotgun.
- Dragon Age: Origins is the First Game About Gay Marriage (2010), attacking immaturity at Kotaku before it was more fashionable.
- Not That There's Anything Wrong with That (2009), on making gay games for straight players, published twice at The Escapist as a "Best Of".
Academia / talks
B.A. in English (2010) from UC Berkeley.
MFA in Design & Technology (2012) from Parsons The New School for Design.
- Yang, Robert. (2012) "Lighting Design for Level Designers." GDC Europe 2012 in Cologne, Germany. 14 August 2012.
- Yang, Robert. (2012) "A People's History of the First Person Shooter." No Show Conference at MIT, Boston. 15 July 2012.
- Yang, Robert. (2012) "How to 'Get Better': Approaches to LGBTQ-relevant Video Games." 9th Annual Games for Change Festival at NYU, New York City. 19 June 2012. [TRANSCRIPT]
PRESS: Kotaku, GayGamer.net, IndieGameMag
- Yang, Robert. (2011) "Handle with Care: a first person game about gay divorce." Critical Information: Mapping the Intersection of Art and Technology at the School of Visual Arts, New York City. 3 December 2011.
Honors and exhibitions
"Jersey Shouroboros" was nominated for Best Use of Theme / Best Overall, and won the NYU Audience Choice award at Global Game Jam 2012.
"Goldblum" won the NYU Audience Choice "Wildcard" award at Global Game Jam 2011.
Zobeide has been exhibited at:
Radiator has been exhibited at:
- Super Cult Tycoon 2: